El Cid's Anime Rants

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

"Kaneda!!" "Tetsuo!!" *BIG EXPLOSION*

Well, this is my second viewing of the highly acclaimed Akira and I must say I liked it much more the second time around. It probably helps that I'm old enough to comprehend subtle plot elements and interpretations of what's going on. The last 15 minutes seemed like utter chaos when I saw this as a kid. Y'know the whole kids-discovering-genetic-memories-thus-evolving-into-psychic-gods-and-spawning-the-birth-of-a-new-universe thing didn't quite register the first time.


Oh, Kaneda! Oh, Kaneda!

Like Grave of Fireflies, this is a totally engrossing film. I couldn't understand why people actually left during the screening to use the restroom. Screw my bladder, this movie kicked arse.

It's also very unsettling, like other animes. The Japanese aren't as "happy-ending" oriented as we Westerners are. There's some shocking scenes of violence and sex that still hit hard despite being purely cartoon. It's funny though, because sometimes images like these seem more legit than live action performances.

But we ended class on a lighter note with Ranma 1/2. This is a cartoon I'd seen way back as a kid on the Spanish station. (Which by the way used to air a soccer anime!) This is a situational comedy of a young martial artist boy who will transform into a girl when doused with cold water. The possibilities here are endless. . .


I think she's wet.

And it was flat out funny! The timing was great. The situations were hilarious. The girls were hot. (Wow, look how low I've sunk already.) And speaking of which, it's my understanding that this is a children's cartoon. So what's the deal with all the boob shots?! I must be "culturally insensitive", but let's just say I was reminded that I am "heterosexually sensitive".

To sum up: Violence and sex with either an intriguing story or comedic situations. What more could you want?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:51 PM, Blogger FeZrAm said…

    "I think she's wet." Did you title the picture yourself or did it already come like that? I think I'll just go and confess my sins...

     
  • At 1:16 PM, Blogger Rodrigo said…

    No I'm the hentai that came up with that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home