El Cid's Anime Rants

Sunday, January 23, 2005

Ushicon 2005

My my my. . . how my standards have fallen. I suppose it was only a matter of time till I came to grips with the bitter reality of my geekness. All it took was a little coaxing and a 50-point bonus bribe by Dr. Korpi.

This past Saturday and Sunday, I attended the annual Austin Anime fest, Ushicon with my chum Ramiro Torres. It was obviously our first con, but we went all out. We figured, what happens in Austin stays in Austin.

Random Nerds

Initially, I had set in my mind I wasn't going to dress up. I mean seriously, what kind of freak would dress up as a cartoon character and prance around in public. I sure as heck wouldn't. I used to feel so much better about myself after viewing photos of fans such as these:
Ladies and gents, this lady is actually a gent.


But when it came time to go, Ram and I where mysteriously smitten with Cosplay fever, suited up, and headed out. Ram was a Samurai, and I was Solid Snake. Holy crap.


Renaissance Austin Hotel
I swear, that walk from the car to the hotel entrance was the longest distance I've ever treaded. There we were, both naked and vulnerable to society's judgemental eye. Coincidently, there was a military ball going on in the same hotel. That made me even more ansy. To be ridiculed by the local layman was a worry, but those military type I feared would call us faggots, take us by force, strip us of our garments, and beat us with some cat-'o-nines. To my utter surprise, I heard more than one of them say they wished they could skip out of the ROTC ball and join us! As soon as we entered the lobby, all was well. All was at peace. We were one with the otaku.

I couldn't believe the energy of the place. All sorts of anti-socials were suddenly being very social (and it became very clear why they shouldn't be). People would randomly walk up to me, spew a cornball joke or random comment, and then run off. It was like one of those old-school RPG's where every character in the room only has one line to say to you and you're left like. . .WTF? Everywhere I saw, there were groups of nerds with different agendas. Some were starting a cult. Some were collecting garbage for a "trash ball". Some merely wanted some action. No joke. I saw a kid holding a sign that read "Will do anyting for a girlfriend." What was I doing here?????



FL CL !!!!



Yet the ambience was very comfortable regardless. I suppose it was accepted to accept it all. So I felt pretty comfortable. In fact, I got a bit of recognition for my costume. I remember walking into the role-playing room, and a group of gamers all freaked and hollered, "Oh man, it's Solid Snake!" and then gave me some weird hand signal. I just smiled and waved, but they were all expecting me to do something more in response to their hand gestures. I also had a few other random exclaimations thrown at me with "Solid Snake" and some more hand gestures, and to be totally honest, it felt great. On top of the jeers of approval I had several people ask for my picture. I felt like the epitome of cool. Yes, the epitome of cool at Ushicon! Go me.

My little brother David came with me the following day dressed as Viewtiful Joe, and I'm not exaggerated when I say he stole the show. For every comment I got, he got like 4. Even the staff security was blown away.





Henshin-a-go-go David!!


But I suppose I've held out long enough, dear blog-reader, as to what I actually looked like. So without further ado, behold.


Yes, folks. . .this is me.

Yes, 'tis I indeed. Turns out I wasn't the only Snake there either. However, I was the only one dressed as Snake from MGS part 1. (Yes, I know, 733t).

So anyway, that's enough for today. I'll post up some more pictures and stories later. G'night all.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home