El Cid's Anime Rants

Friday, April 22, 2005

The Visual Arts

So I was wandering around the Pixar website, like I occasionally do, and I found some exciting bit of news. Apparently, they now (FINALLY) have an internship program for college students. And get this, they don't require any sort of serious experience with 3d software. They like the traditional arts and story telling! Whodathunkit?!

This made me excited, because I have minimal experience with Maya, but would consider myself above a novice in the drawing arts and my childish imagination is always coming up with odd querky stories. So what I'm inferring here, is that I may actually have a shot at landing one of these. Maybe. . .

Unfortunately, this summer I'm going to Maastrich, so it's out of the picture for now.

I bring this up, because both Pixar and much of anime have something I admire. Visual excellence. You can't deny that the Japanese work sufficiently harder with their visuals than typical American animators do. Even the low grade anime will have their characters shaded and be relativly proportional. Even the folds in clothing are drawn and animated. The backdrops are nicely painted canvases. The typical saturday morning cartoon now-a-days, uses cheap animation techniques, such as always showing one perspective of their characters. (Fairly Odd Parents, anyone?) Or there is little emphasis on animation and way too much talk.

But like I said, not all American animation is bad. Take Sponge Bob Square Pants. I mean, sure he's an annoying flaming sponge, but the cartoon's animation isn't bad. It looks like they are putting some thought into animating his face. And yes, I think he's funny.

But to quote straight from the horses mouth about turning in a demo reel:

"Take the time to polish. It seems silly, but people get in such a rush to get the reel out the door, they lose sight of the big picture. THIS IS HOW YOU WILL GET A JOB."

Art takes time. Words of Pixar wisdom.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:53 PM, Blogger FeZrAm said…

    You sponge freak. You and your kind sicken me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home